Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Distant Encounters of a Personal Kind


Driving to the park with Nicki, I passed a tall, young man in a hooded blue parka and back pack walking down the sidewalk in the light drizzle.  I didn't think much about it.  People -- although not many -- do walk in the area.  Twenty to thirty minutes later, I drive back in the  opposite direction.  The man is now sitting on the sidewalk, hands on head and head on knees.  I drive a little ways and pull over to see if I have any cash.  I fish out a five dollar bill and make a U-turn.  I don't pull up in front of him, mainly because it's a bike lane and cars come down that road at a high speed.  Instead I turn in at a corner maybe 30 yards down. 

I get out and walk back.  At this point the man has stood up and is walking toward me.  My sense is that he must have seen me turn around, must have put two and two together and, putting them together, did not want to be looking up at me.

He's at least 6'2,” and more or less clean shaven. He has lots of ink on his hands and is missing at least one tooth that I can see.  He could have been handsome in another life.  Smart mouth as always, i say: “are you in need or are you just depressed?” His head cocks to the side ever so slightly.  I  quickly answer my dumb question, “Well, anyway, maybe you can use this.”  He takes it.  He must have said “thanks,” although I wasn't listening for gratitude.  There is a faint hint of resentment in his eyes but mostly just pain.  “I'm sorry,” I say.  In  a soft and gentle voice he replied, “That's ok.”

Outpacing him I walk back to the Jeep.  I U-turn to get back onto the main road. I have to stop at the intersection while other cars pass.  Just as I am about to pull out and turn left, he arrives at the corner. I am ready to wave to him, but he turns his head away.   
 
 

No comments: